This list of resources for program directors is continually being updated. Please contact Northern Lights to share other program director resources that you have found useful.
- NAEYC Online Store
- Child Care Center Management Guide. Cherry, Harkness, Kuzma and Bates. McGraw Hill 2002.
- Handbook for Early Childhood Administrators: Directing with a Mission. Reno, Stutzman and Zimmerman. Allyn & Bacon (Apr. 30th, 2007)
- The Art of Leadership: Managing Early Childhood Organizations. Neugebauer, Bonnie and Roger. Exchange Press, Inc. (September 1998)
- Planning and Administering Early Childhood Program. Decker, Celia A., and John R., Freeman, Nancy R., Knopf, Herman. Prentice Hall; 9 edition (September 5, 2008)
- The Visionary Director: A Handbook for Dreaming, Organizing, and Improvising in Your Center. Margie Carter and Deb Curtis. Redleaf Press; 2 edition (November 1, 2009)
- Leadership in Early Care and Education. Kagan, Bowman. NAEYC; January (1997).
- The Right Fit: Recruiting, Selecting and Orienting Staff. Kay Albrecht. New Horizons (2002).Child Care Center Management Guide. Cherry, Harkness, Kuzma and Bates.
- Child Care Exchange
- Exchange Everyday (free newsletter)
- NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct: Supplement for Early Childhood Administrators
- National Director Credential
- Vermont Competencies for Program Directors
Other Resources for Program Directors
- Access the Shared Services site. Log in and find many resources
- SAMPLE Guide to staff salary scale based on the early childhood career ladder
- Staff orientation checklist using Northern Lights website
- Job Description Template
- SAMPLE Orientation Checklist
- Employee Survey: Job Descriptions
- EXAMPLES: Using Core Competencies in your Job Descriptions