The Vermont Agency of Education (AOE) establishes the professional standards that professionals must meet to be licensed educators and administrators in Vermont.
All educators in Vermont must meet four core teaching standards.
Each educator must also meet the requirements in one or more endorsement areas. These define the ages and topics the educator may teach. Examples of endorsements areas are:
- early childhood (birth to grade three)
- early childhood limited endorsement (such as age 3 to grade 3)
- early childhood special education
- elementary (K-6)
- middle grades (5-9) science
Each endorsement has standards that the professional must meet.
- Licensing Endorsement Standards in Vermont, Agency of Education website page
- Endorsement standards booklet NOTE: 5440-36 Early Childhood Education (page 61); 5440-80 Early Childhood Special Educator, Elementary Education (page 74) 5440-00 (as of August 2017)
- Learn more about how to gain teacher licensure in VT.