Professional competencies and standards define the skills and knowledge required by those working in the early childhood and afterschool fields. Professionals have a profound impact on the children and families they work: quality matters.
Experience, coursework, effective supervision, mentoring, and reflective practice help develop competence over time.
Professional standards and competencies are used:
- in an IPDP (Individual Professional Development Plan)
- as the framework for early childhood career ladder, afterschool career pathways, teacher licensure, and credentials
- to plan and assess professional development activities and curricula
- to develop job descriptions and performance evaluations
- to structure supervision, mentoring and job descriptions
Vermont’s professional development system is based on the following competencies and standards
CORE KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCIES
- Core Knowledge Areas and Competencies for Early Childhood Professionals
- Core Knowledge and Competencies for Afterschool Professionals
- Vermont Agency of Education – Professional Standards for Licensed Educators (see table of contents on page 14; Early Childhood: page 46; Early Childhood Special Education: page 54; Elementary Education: page 65)
- NEW! DRAFT Infant Toddler Competencies (6.1.2018)
- Alignment chart of Core Knowledge areas, CDA and VT Agency of Education Standards
RELATED KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge and Competencies for Program Directors working in early childhood and afterschool programs (Program Director Credential)
- Early Childhood and Family Mental Health Competencies (Early Childhood and Family Mental Health Credential)
- M.A.T.C.H Knowledge and Competencies (mentors, consultants and coaches) (MATCH information)
- Instructor Knowledge and Competencies teaching early childhoood and afterschool professionals (Instructor Information)
In addition to professional competencies and standards, there are program standards and learning standards/guidelines for children Together, like interdependent gears, these help us measure our quality and define our goals.