The Vermont Child Care Industry and Careers Council (VCCICC) administers the Vermont Child Care Apprenticeship Program. This is a two year program.
Apprentices work in a licensed child care and are selected. The program includes:
- 6 college courses, contracted from the Community College of Vermont (CCV)
- other related instruction including Basic Specialized Care
- Full-time employment under the supervision of a qualified child care professional and mentor.
- Use the training and experience in the first year of the program to apply for a Child Development Associate Credential (CDA)
At the end of the 2-year program, completed apprentices receive a Certificate of Completion and may apply for a Level IIIA certificate.
You may take the contracted college courses if there is room in the course, even if you are not an enrolled apprentice. You must be working in regulated child care, pass the tests to get into CCV courses and pay a small fee and the cost of books.
Apprenticeship courses are offered around the state, and include:
- Communication in the Early Childhood Education and Afterschool Workplace
- Child Development
- Infant Toddler Development
- Curriculum Development for Early Childhood Education
- Program Management for Early Childhood Education
- Leadership, Mentoring and Supervision in Early Childhood and Afterschool Programs
This program supports child care workers in the Vermont Department of Employment and Training apprenticeship programs. Contact CCV and the Vermont Child Care Apprenticeship program to learn more.