Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education (Or a Related Field)

A bachelor’s degree is typically 120 credits. Depending on your degree, it usually includes general education requirements courses (such as english, math, science, history), electives, and specific coursework in your major or concentration.

Work with a college advisory so you only take courses you need to graduate.

Higher education institutions in Vermont that offer a Bachelor Degree program with a concentration in early childhood include:

  • University of Vermont
  • Champlain College
  • Lyndon State College
  • Goddard College
  • Union Institute and University *
  • Springfield College (in St. Johnsbury)*

Vermont Agency of Education teacher License

All of the institutions above except those with a * are approved to recommend their graduates for teacher licensure from the Vermont Agency of Education, with an endorsement in early childhood.

Many colleges and universities in Vermont are approved to recommend their graduates for elementary teacher licensure.  Student Teaching is a requirement to become a licensed teacher.  Peer review allows you earn an educator license without graduating from an approved institution. Some of the required experience needs to be under the supervision of a qualified professional.

Related degrees include: Early Childhood, Child or Human Development, Education (early childhood, elementary or special education), or Child and Family Studies (including Home Economics).  When your Bachelor degree is not in one of these areas, if you have 30 related credits in at least 3 core knowledge areas, you can earn a Level IV certificate.

Courses in these topics may be considered related credits.

  • child development
  • program management and administration
  • health, nutrition and safety  related to children
  • working with families and communities
  • teaching and curricula for young school age children


Be sure the college or university is regionally or nationally accredited.  There are accredited online colleges.

Request a copy of your transcript from the college or university, and submit it with your Level IV application.  Northern Lights can scan this and into your Bright Futures Information System (BFIS) Credential Account, so you don’t have to send it again.

The Child Development Division offers scholarships to help pay for college courses if you work in regulated child care.  The application is on their website.

The Child Care Apprenticeship program in Vermont contracts with CCV to offer 6 college courses related to working in early childhood programs.   Courses are open at a low cost to child care staff who are not enrolled Apprentices, if there is room in the class.