Associate Degree in Early Childhood Education

An Associate Degree usually requires a total of 60 college credits.  Full time students can complete the degree in two years.  Most early childhood Associate Degree students go to school part time while they are working.  An Associate Degree easily transfers to a 4- year college if you want to go on and earn a Bachelor Degree.

Community College of Vermont (CCV) is the only college accredited to offer an Associate Degree in Early Childhood Education in the state. There are 12 academic centers conveniently located across Vermont.   Many courses are offered online or as a hybrid (online and face to face).

Talk with a CCV Academic Advisor-

  • To learn how to get ready for college coursework and start as a CCV student
  • To find courses that fit your schedule
  • To explore paying for college
  • To find courses that will transfer to a four-year institution of your choice

Help to get your Associate Degree

Vermont T.E.A.C.H. issues tuition scholarships  for any coursework you need to complete to earn your early childhood Associate Degree, as well as other financial supports.

The Child Development Division offers scholarships which can help pay for college courses related to your job, for those working in regulated child care.  The application is on their website.

The Child Care Apprenticeship program in Vermont contracts with CCV to offer 6 college courses related to working in early childhood programs.  These courses are free of charge to Apprentices.  They are also open at a low cost to child care staff who are not enrolled Apprentices, if there is room in the class.

CCV also offers a 27 credit Child Care Certificate.  These credits can also count toward an Associate Degree.

Once you earn your Associate Degree in early childhood or child development, apply for a Level IIIB certificate. Be sure to request your transcript from the college.  Consider requesting two: an official transcript in a sealed envelope and an unofficial one, which is the same but not in a sealed envelope.  You will need to submit your transcript (official or unofficial) to Northern Lights with your Level IIIB application.

If you have an Associate Degree in a different field, review your transcript and consider taking additional courses related to early childhood.   You can apply for a Level IIIB certificate  if you have  a total of 21 credits related to working with young children and their families, in at least 3 of these 5 Core Knowledge Areas:

  • Child Development
  • Partnering with Families and Communities
  • Healthy and Safe Environments
  • Teaching and Learning
  • Professionalism and Program Management

Contact Northern Lights if you are unsure if your completed credits would count; they can help you review your transcript.