Teacher Licensure

The Vermont Standards Board in the VT Agency of Education confers teacher/educator licensure.  There are three pathways toward  teacher licensure in Vermont: choose one.

  1. Come to Vermont with a teacher license from another state

Vermont is part of a licensed teacher reciprocity with other states.   If you have a current teacher license from another state it can be accepted in VT except if it is from: New York, New Mexico, North Carolina, Nebraska, Wisconsin, South Dakota or the territories. Vermont educator license may be  accepted as an initial license/certificate in 47 other states. Here is the Interstate Agreement.

The Vermont Agency of Education has Licensing Tutorials to guide you.

2. Graduate from a college or university in Vermont that is approved to recommend for teacher licensure

The Agency of Education determines which colleges and universities in Vermont can offer approved teacher licensure programs. These colleges can recommend that their graduates receive Vermont teacher licensure, but they do not issue the license.

Teacher licensure includes one or more endorsements, which define the grade levels/ages you can teach and which subjects.  There are many endorsements.  Some examples are:

  • early childhood ages birth to grade three (or a limited endorsement for a narrower age range)
  • early childhood special education ages three to five
  • elementary education

These four Vermont institutions provide courses that can recommend teacher licensure with early childhood endorsements:

3. Successfully complete the alternative route to licensure through Peer Review

Alternative Resources for teacher licensure (you must have a Bachelor Degree)

  • Peer Review provides an alternative route to Licensure through the Agency of Education, if you have a Bachelor Degree with a liberal arts major
  • Peer Review Project (PRP) for early childhood educator licensure includes a college course with mentor support over 10 months to help experienced early childhood teachers gain educator licensure.  Northern Lights Career Development Center and Mary Johnson Children’s Center implement this program.
  • Higher Education Collaborative offers graduate level courses through Lyndon State College for the working professional, which may lead to educator licensure with an endorsement in early childhood.  Here is the Higher Education Collaborative information brochure
  • The Upper Valley Educators Institute (UVEI) in Lebanon, NH. This is a 1 year, full-time, non-degree licensure program for those with at least a bachelor’s degree.  Accepted participants commit to class time and work with a mentor.   Candidates have 2 full-time internships, one in the first half of the year and a different one in the second half of the year. This program helps individuals seeking elementary education, secondary  education or  principal licensure.
  • Teacher Apprentice Program (TAP) program in Essex town (Chittenden County) is an application-based,  full time, 8 month program.  The program focus is Middle and Secondary Education licensure.
  • Norwich University offers a “fifth year program” for students not enrolled at Norwich University or another college.  Candidate’s course work and experience are evaluated and a program of study is recommended based on the traditionally approved Teacher Education/Licensure Program.  Typically the program takes from one and one-half to two years to complete.

Benefits of Teacher Licensure

Public schools require the teachers they hire to have current educator licensure with the appropriate endorsement.   Many school districts in Vermont also have partnerships with community based early care and education programs to serve children ages three to five.  In 2016, all public school districts/supervisory unions will need to provide early childhood education services- either in the school or in partnership with qualified community based early education programs.  When community based child care programs partner with schools, they qualify for public education funding.  One requirement of this partnership is that a licensed educator with early childhood endorsement works with the children in the program.