The Vermont Northern Lights Career Development Center for Early Childhood and Afterschool Professionals is funded by a grant from the Child Development Division of the Vermont Agency of Human Services. In collaboration with the Community College of Vermont (CCV) and the Vermont Child Care Industry and Careers Council (VCCICC), Northern Lights works with our partners to unify and enhance the professional development system in Vermont. Northern Lights has multiple offices and its resources are available statewide.
Working with key partners, Northern Lights supports and enhances a unified system of professional development for early childhood and afterschool practitioners. Our goals include:
- Providing clear information and resources about professional development and career pathways to individuals and sponsors of professional development.
- Enhancing and aligning the components of the professional development system so that it is efficient and meaningful.
- Increasing access to quality professional development experiences at each step of the career pathway.
- Seeking and learning from data and feedback in order to make the system more effective.
Northern Lights staff operate this career development center website and an Instructor Registry. We provide group trainings on professional development topics, resources, and individual career advising. We promote and assist people in using the professional development tools in the Bright Futures Information System (BFIS), which is operated by the Child Development Division. Northern Lights is actively involved in statewide initiatives that support early childhood and afterschool professional development. Staff serve on numerous committees and workgroups.
Look in the sidebar of this page for:
- Most recent Northern Lights quarterly e-newsletters. (Contact Northern Lights for earlier editions.)
- Fact sheets about Northern Lights
- Free workshops offerd through Northern Lights