Professional Development for staff working in Afterschool programs includes:
- Core knowledge areas: defines what afterschool staff should know and do. The Afterschool core knowledge and competencies detail the 5 Core knowledge areas.
- Courses, trainings and other learning opportunities: based on the core competencies
- Career pathways: for all staff from entry level to program directors
- Certificates and Credentials: recognize professional achievement. Some Certificates are also linked to a Professional Recognition Bonus from the Child Development Division of Vermont Afterschool, Inc.
Experience, education, and quality supervision or mentoring together support afterschool staff to become professionals. The certificates listed below recognize the skills and knowledge of the afterschool professional and also meet some of the requirements for Afterschool Child Care Program Staff, site directors and administrators in the 2016 Child Care Licensing program regulations.
Initial Certificates of recognition
- Vermont Afterschool Foundations Certificate
- On-the-Job Training for Afterschool Professionals (from Vermont Child Care Industry and Careers Council)
Next Certificates of recognition. (a recognition bonus from the Child Development Division may be awarded with this certificate)
Expanded Certificates of recognition (a recognition bonus from the Child Development Division may be awarded with these credentials)
- Vermont Afterschool Professional Credential
- Educator License (from VT Agency of Education)
- Program Director Credential: Certificates for steps 1 and 2, and the Credential at step 3
Other Related Opportunities